Monday, December 22, 2008

MONDAY: CHRISTMAS WEEK

As a special tribute to this special week, Linden will attempt to write nothing of a critical political nature until next Monday.

Last Friday was pitch-in breakfast at our early morning Men’s Prayer Breakfast: I fixed pineapple-upside-down cake (a first ever effort) and it wasn’t too bad. To my knowledge not a single partaker has passed away. Yet.

I waited, to no avail, at home until late afternoon for the delivery of the books my printer said should arrive on Friday. Then, I checked the computerized delivery info and was told that they had been put on the front porch three hours earlier. I checked several porches and there were no boxes of books to be found. I notified the printer and later the delivery company called to say that I should know something within maybe eight days. Being already upset with myself for not getting the material to the printer sooner, I was not just real happy.

My state of mind did not improve when I discovered that I had failed to return the Pier 14 building key to its usual storage place.

Within the next three hours, I found the key and received a call from a man who lives one block away saying he had five boxes on his front porch with my name on them. I returned to happiness.

On Saturday, I attended a Men’s Breakfast at Kingsway church at 7:30 and at 10:00 was at the Avon Writers Group meeting. Since, due to my failure, I had failed to have the books produced in time for a signing event during the Christmas shopping season, I was pleased to have a few books purchased at each meeting.

In the afternoon, I finished clearing out a space to park my car in the barn on the property before the really cold weather arrives. Helped one of the Ministers move a decking from the Pier 14 building to the area in the church where contemporary services are held.

The mail brought two of those delicious coffee cakes from Katia in Wisconsin. Then, had a long telephone conversation with Norma Jordan. She and her husband, Mike, had driven me to Louisiana for Julie’s 2006 wedding. I was very weak at that time. Later, I received an update call from Joyce Brinkman – I had been wondering about her recent trip to The Library of Congress, where as the former Indiana Poet Laureate, she and others did a reading. It was a pretty good day.

Sunday brought cold weather: Just a little above zero all day. I walked to morning services, had a couple of cookies and coffee and returned home. Had an email from Katia saying that she had worked very hard the previous day clearing her long driveway of snow and it was snowing again with a wind chill of 20 to 40 below. Makes it seem warm here. I called Jim Register in Tennessee to sing “happy birthday” to him and then talked to Audrey for a bit. Audrey is Rubye’s sister. Rubye was a shining jewel in my life.

I walked back for evening services, the wind was even stronger and it was COLD! There was not a soul there so I walked back, stopping at the Pier 14 building to warm up a bit. I later found out that they had announced the cancellation in the third service: I attend first service. Oh well, I’m warm and happy now.
-----
GIFT GIVING?
Any of Linden’s six books or his first CD could be what you are looking for: They are inexpensive and not everybody has one.

The CD “Songs A Poor Old Police Department Retiree Might Write While Waiting For His Meager Pension Check” features Linden’s original compositions. The book subject matter ranges from political through poetry, baseball, prayer, cryptograms and Linden’s pilgrimage in Spain at age 75.

Plainfield area sales at Secondhand Stories in the strip mall at Raceway & Rockville roads. Online, go to addresses below and inquire on “Linden Swift”.

http://stores.ebay.com/secondhand-stories
www.alibris.com/bookstore/secondha

DONATIONS to support postings, are appreciated but not necessary, may be made to Linden Swift, Box 203, Plainfield, IN 46168

COMMENTS: Only those sent to LWDcomment@aol.com are received.
-----

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home