Monday, September 1, 2008

MY APOLOGIES

As Linden started to rough out this Labor Day posting, it was something over 50 hours since John McCain announced his selection of Sarah Palin as his running mate. Linden has not yet stopped smiling! Not since Ronald Reagan has he been so enthused about a candidate.

Linden attempts to live his life so that he rarely, if ever, has to say, “I’m sorry.” Now, he has to admit that he was wrong: He misjudged John McCain! He was convinced that McCain would select a loser to be his running mate. Possibly do something really stupid like select someone from one of the world’s least effective bodies –The U.S. Senate.

McCain’s selection of Sarah Palin illustrates that he has a well formed knowledge base about what our country needs at this point in our history. Tears welled up in Linden’s eyes as he listened to the McCain/Palin announcement made in Dayton, Ohio. To merely say that Linden is pleased is similar to saying the great flood was caused by a light shower! Perhaps now our country will avert the disaster that has been looming on the horizon: Thank You God for making this a distinct possibility.
-----
LINDEN'S LIFE
Had our usual Thursday breakfast meeting: Just Bill, Chuck and I present. Attended to normal everyday tasks and, while ironing, listened to some old 33 RPM records, of which I have many. I particularly enjoyed listening to Pedro Vargas sing “Adios, Mariquita Linda.” I couldn’t find the Mejia recording of “Escaleras en la Carcel.” When Rubye and I were in San Antonio maybe eight years ago, I had a mariachi band in the Mercado play and sing those two numbers.
Julie called: She had been in Bloomington, Illinois and was on her way home after picking Jade up. Julie is really pleased with the two ladies she has to look after Jade during Julie’s work hours.

Friday, after another really lousy night for sleeping, brought the usual early morning Men’s Prayer Breakfast. I was useless all day. Probably the high point of the day was getting a call from Jack and Paul. They were in Branson, Missouri and wanted to know what I thought of McCain’s selection of Sarah Palin.

Saturday, I went to a visitation for the wife of a former credit union associate (and State Police employee): She was only 55. I saw several people there who worked at the credit union and several people from the State Police. In fact, the first person I met remembered me from over 30 years ago at The Department. After returning home, I listened to Indiana University win a football game. Good start to the season.

Sunday brought church, Sunday School and, since I had another bad night for sleeping, I did not go to brunch with the group. The rest of the day I was in a fog. I hate it and I don’t understand why I am so often now having trouble sleeping.
-----
LINDEN'S COMPOSITIONS:
Linden’s first CD “Songs A Poor Old Police Department Retiree Might Write While Waiting For His Meager Pension Check” is now ready for purchase as are the six books he has written and/or published. Plainfield area sales at Secondhand Stories in the strip mall at Raceway & Rockville roads. Online, go to addresses below and inquire on “Linden Swift”.

http://stores.ebay.com/secondhand-stories
www.alibris.com/bookstore/secondha

DONATIONS to support postings, are appreciated but not necessary, may be made to Linden Swift, Box 203, Plainfield, IN 46168

COMMENTS: Only those sent to LWDcomment@aol.com are received.
-----

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home