Tuesday, December 11, 2007

YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU

I, of course, am responsible for me. This may be a strange way to start writing about the sub-prime mortgage situation but, I think it lays out my ground rules. As one who, in the last few years, has adopted a rather careless approach to stock market investing, perhaps I should start with a confession. Here it is: Only a few years ago, I bought stock that was directly involved in making sub-prime mortgages. The stock increased in value very nicely and, of course, I quit watching it. Only recently did I notice that it is selling at less that half of what I could have sold it for a few months ago. Should the Government (taxpayers) be forced to ensure that I can now sell this stock for more than twice its present worth? NO, NO, NO! My carelessness is my responsibility.

There are doubtlessly other shareholders who are in exactly the same position as I in regard to this stock. Should the Government (taxpayers) bail them out? NO, NO, NO! Their carelessness is their responsibility.

There are many homebuyers who have lost the equity (if any) they had in their homes. Although this is a sad situation, the question remains: Should the Government (taxpayers) bail them out? NO, NO, NO! Their failure to understand the possible effect sub-prime borrowing could have on their well being is their responsibility.

There are many lending institutions who engaged in this type of lending and they have had to write down asset value. Should the Government (taxpayers) bail them out? NO, NO, NO! The failure is their responsibility. I may add that the responsibility of the management and Board of these lenders may well be a legal matter.

Should the Congress, who has had time to consider many efforts to undermine the efforts of our armed forces, but little if any time to address the appropriation bills that are their responsibility, now address sub-prime lending? NO, NO, NO! THE MEMBERS OF THE MAJORITY PARTY SHOULD RESIGN EN MASSE!
-----
HOPE and PRAYER are not synonomous but are slightly related: In this vein, you should note that Linden hopes that the Republicans will field a candidate in the districts listed below. Shown in State, District and current officeholder sequence.

California: 20 Costa; 31 Becerra; 33 Watson.

Georgia: 5 Lewis.

Illinois: 12 Costello.

Maryland: 5 Hoyer; 7 Cummings.
-----
To date, Linden has written and/or published six books. To view sales related info, go to one of the following sites and enter Linden Swift in the author name area.

http://stores.ebay.com/secondhand-stories

www.alibris.com/bookstore/secondha
-----
This blog does not allow anonymous comments.
Send comments to LWDcomment@aol.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home