Monday, January 7, 2008

CHRISTMAS SNACKS FROM JULIE


BUY ME?

“AN OLD MAN ON THE ST. JAMES WAY” recounts the pilgrimage
across Northern Spain by this 75-year-old man. Author Linden Swift.
Available locally at Uncommon Corner in downtown Plainfield, IN or
Secondhand Stories on Raceway road. Also online:

http://stores.ebay.com/secondhand-stories

www.alibris.com/bookstore/secondha


HELP WANTED

It appears that in the last general election there were no Republican
candidates in 39 districts scattered across 15 states. These positions
offer much more than just good pay. Some of these districts are listed
below in State, District and general location sequence. Please help
find a Republican candidate in these districts.

Alabama 5 Huntsville
Alabama 7 Birmingham

Florida 2 Tallahassee
Florida 3 Jacksonville
Florida 17 North Miami
Florida 19 Boca Raton
Florida 20 Pembroke Pines
Florida 23 Fort Lauderdale

In recent ratings, the Council for Citizens Against Government Waste
Considered 32 of the present officeholders (democrats) to be hostile,
6 unfriendly, and 1 lukewarm to taxpayers. The National Taxpayers
Union granted a grade of “F” to 36 of this group while 3 of them rose
to a “D”.

WHAT IF?

Surely you believe that the liberal dominated news media is very, very selective in what “news” they will print or report. Have you noticed the absence of reporting about the improved situation in Iraq? There are, of course, other examples but Linden will assume that you can think. WHAT IF, you complained to the lackluster “news” provider and, if satisfaction is not obtained you then call those who advertise in that medium? Your message could be something like: “ I am disappointed that you choose to advertise in or on …. Who will not report…. Perhaps this approach would pay dividends in the form of less biased news coverage.

CHRISTMAS SNACKS FROM JULIE

First, a recommendation that you read Randall Hoven's Jan. 7 posting in American Thinker of "HEY GOP: CHEER UP, CHIN UP!

For the first time in this campaign season, I watched all of the Republican section and part of that of the democrats on TV Saturday night. I thought Fred Thompson was the "winner" and McCain was the best of the rest. As usual, what I watched of the democrats caused me to worry slightly about any person who would support any of that lackluster bunch.

I intended to write today in greater detail about the "debate" but Julie and Kenneth came to see me after Church and Sunday School and few things, at this point in my life, could be more important than that. They had been in England to see Kenneth's family at Christmastime so this trip here was a combination of Christmas in Indiana and celebration of my Friday birthday.

God has so blessed my life with Julie and Brian, my daughter and son, that I have to wonder how I could have been blessed with children that I love, admire and am incredibly proud of. I am blessed, indeed.

As usual Julie brought me an immense store of snack foods - over 20 separate items. Kenneth and I sampled (generously) the wasabi peas, banana chips, and sesame sticks. That girl surely knows what is the way to her Father's heart. She had also ordered me some boots (which are yet to be delivered) and brought me some heavy socks to wear with the boots when they arrive.

This year was an even more generous replay of Christmas 2006 at which time I wrote a poem in celebration. I believe the poem is scheduled to be included with my writings in the soon to be delievered book of writings by members of the Avon Writers Group. It is not great but I like it. Here it is:

CHRISTMAS SNACKS FROM JULIE

With never a thought of all the calories
or calls of "there goes the fat man" from the galleries
I sample them all in utmost haste
never a morsel will I waste
first a crinkly gourmet chip
slathered with tasty onion dip
next a cracker flavored with sesame
then some hot dried peas called wasabi
Polish chocolate and other candy
I must describe as simply dandy
hot wasabi beans in a jar
cans of nuts the best there are
caramel corn and other treats
I'll sample each and then the meats
happy am I, her old Dad
she's the best daughter I ever had.
-----

Send comments to LWDcomment@aol.com

Please note that clicking on "comments" at the bottom of this page will not result in your comment being forwarded.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home