Monday, December 24, 2007

FANNY J. CROSBY 1820-1915

As we approach the day that most Christians celebrate as the birthday of Jesus Christ, it seems that I should write a few lines about a person I believe to have had a major influence for good on mankind and most particularly those of the Christian faith. This is probably due to one of my favorite hymns being sung in my church recently.

Fanny J. Crosby is the hymn writer and "Tell me the story of Jesus" is the hymn mentioned: "Tell me the story of Jesus, Write on my heart every word. Tell me the story most precious, Sweetest that ever was heard." As one who has attempted to compose, I am staggered by her ability to pack so much thought into 23 words. Our hymnal contains 16 of her works from among the thousands she wrote. Since I struggle for musical inspiration, I also can not imagine being such a prolific composer.

Some of her better known compositions are: Blessed Assurance; Close To Thee; I Am Thine, O Lord; Jesus Is Tenderly Calling You Home; Near The Cross; Pass Me Not, O Gentle Savior; Praise Him, Praise Him; Redeemed, How I Love To Proclaim It; Rescue The Perishing; and To God Be The Glory.

When our group of "Senior Saints" stayed at Johnson Bible College in Knoxville, TN last June, it was our good fortune to witness a "living drama" presentation on the life of Fanny Crosby given by Betty Gray. The audience of probably 400 persons sat there, mesmerized and teary eyed as she brought the great hymn writer to life before our eyes. We were blest.

It has been said that Fanny Crosby composed over 8,000 hymns and, in order not to have her name listed too many times in the same hymnal, used over 100 pseudonyms. It should be mentioned that she was blind and that she was actively involved in spreading the faith.

Have a blessed Christmas.
-----

Send comments to: LWDcomment@aol.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home